Thursday, February 18, 2010

Unexpected treasures



Andi came home from work the other day with a big bag full of...what's that? Lovely wool and cotton yarn and tons of crochet hooks? What a wonderful unexpected surprise! A gift from a friend, who knits and knows I've begun to crochet. Thanks, Melissa! My crochet class was canceled last week due to (ridiculously-over prepared for) snow and this week to school vacation, so I'm itching to get back and find out what I might be able to do with this new treasure. I'm so excited to have a "stash" of yarn and hooks! (If you knit, you'll definitely want to check out Melissa's blog. She's made gorgeous things for Lucy, and she's got a book coming out soon!)



Another surprise came at the thrift shop, where I'd gone to look for potential treasure for the upcoming Vintage Swap. Naturally, as soon as I promise to swap some great stuff, I find nothing; I've been to several thrift shops in the past few weeks and walked away empty-handed--unheard of! (Sorry, Lorena! But don't worry, I'm still looking...) But I did spot this, which somehow found its way into my cart:



It's not well-made, or even old, but I like it all the same. I've got this vision of someday having a collection of old and new globes in all different sizes and colors (now we have 3). Already, I've overheard one precious after-nap conversation (the new globe is in the library, where the children nap), including this 4-year-old analysis: "The real earth is much bigger than that. It is bigger than a tree. It is bigger than a house. Way back when dinosaurs lived, it had to be bigger than they were!"

11 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Lise....what great colors you have there. I'll look forward to seeing your future creations :)

I pre-ordered 3 copies of Melissa's knitting book.

BTW...Thanks for the feedback on other Gail Godwin books!

Luisa said...

I love the colors so bright and cheery. I'm dying to get a globe for us.

nettlejuice said...

Always lovely to receive beautiful yarn to play with.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Two things I've learned from working with DHS...do your research about what resources and therapies you may need before the child comes, because you may not have time to research when a high needs baby is demanding constant attention, and the second is don't expect DHS to be much help. I think they are really good people, they are just way overworked and I think many of them have become jaded because of what they have to deal with every day.

Having said that, I think it is such a blessing to be able to offer child who had such a rough start in life a stable and loving home. It may be hard in the beginning,but there are so many treasures.

This Heavenly Life said...

Ha! I love the globe conversation. And you're right -- there's something really satisfying about a globe. I've always wanted a huge (like, full wall, huge) map of the world in an office or library. First, we must find a house with an office or library...

Lise said...

Oh, yes--I want a giant wall-sized map, too! I'd been thinking kids' room or hallway. Not that any room in our house is big enough to sacrifice putting furniture all along a wall!

Burgin Streetman said...

Love love love love it! I love those sorts of supplies. All wonderful and bright, ready for someone to spin them into awesome. I'm with you on the globes too!

Tonya Gunn said...

so wonderful and so much fun to find a new home for old treasures.
The yarn - too - what a great gift!
Best wishes with your crocheting.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love your new header.

Julie said...

The yarn is dreamy! Can't wait to see what you will create:)

julie k said...

What a lovely gift! Those colors are beautiful.

larissa said...

that is some gorgeous yarn - enjoy it! love the globe you found - the fun part of thrifting is you never know what you're going to come home with. have a wonderful monday!