Sunday, December 20, 2009

Treasure at the Goodwill

I'm not finished making Christmas gifts yet. Nope, not even those that are getting sent to Virginia. Yeah. I'm a pretty horrible procrastinator.

So, I had to go to the Goodwill today, for some raw materials. Here's the heap that came home with me, which throughout the rest of the day (and late into the night) got transformed into gifts (I'll show those soon).



While I was there, I spotted a big box on the floor. "Children's encyclopedia $5."



My first thought was "where will I put them?" (I have a bit of a children's book problem...er...collection.) My next thought was "who cares?...I need them." They're not an "encyclopedia" like you'd expect. It's the 1947 edition of the Childcraft How and Why Library. The first volume is full of poetry and lovely illustrations. There's one with folk tales. One with songs and art ideas. One with information about plants. And on and on. I can't wait to explore them! (No time now; must sew, sew, sew! But after Christmas.) And I can't wait to share them with Lucy. Here's a cursory peek (I didn't even need to look at this much to know I wanted them. And the man who sold them to me agreed. He was so glad I was buying them. He said they're not supposed to sell encyclopedias, but he'd insisted on this one, because it was so cool. He said he wants to show people what they can do with kids besides plop them in front of the t.v. My kind of Goodwill guy.)








After that, my whole day was spent crafting, in the midst of the giant heaping mess that was once our office. It was not a safe place for Lucy, but boy did she want to be there! What do you do with a baby while you're using the rotary cutter? I did this:

1 comment:

P. J. Grath said...

Love your finds and love the baby in the box! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Lise!