Thursday, December 31, 2009

Old traditions, new ornaments

Hope you're not getting tired of Christmas yet, because I've still got more to share!

photo ornament

It's been our tradition that I give a new ornament to Andi each Christmas, representing our year. This year, of course, it had to be Lucy.

And we started a new tradition: making an ornament each year for Lucy. When I thought back on her year, for one thing that would symbolize it, I thought of the blanket Andi knitted while she was pregnant. She made the "Big Bad Baby Blanket" from Stitch 'N Bitch, using a gorgeous, soft red wool. There was just a bit left. I asked her to make a mini version for Lucy's first ornament, and I love how it came out.

L's blanket ornament

Lucy got a few other ornaments, too. From her Granny, she got this "baby's first Christmas" ornament:

L's pea pod ornament

She said she settled for a pea pod because she couldn't find a string bean. It also reminded her of Lucy in her hammock.

Lucy's Nanny gave her this ornament, fair trade from Guatemala. It reminded her of Lucy in the sling, of course:

L's baby in sling ornament

I started a journal for Lucy, to keep track of her ornaments. I imagine her someday unwrapping each ornament as she decorates her tree with her children and shares each one's story.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Aww so cute. :)

P. J. Grath said...

You are creating precious memories, Lise, and your ornaments are beautiful. Happy new year to you all, if I haven't said that before--and even if I have.

Heather said...

I really like the idea of making a new ornament for our children each year! Funny, I never really thought of that. I have had the kids make ornaments, or we have made ornaments for other families, but we have always bought an ornament for our kiddos to mark the passing year.

Thank you for inspiring me to think about our children's ornaments in a much different way

Happy New Year!