Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sowing seeds

Yesterday, Andi said that the one thing she was really missing this winter was lettuce. Well, I can't produce lettuce from storage, but something green and crisp and fresh? That, I thought I could manage.

For some reason, I have never grown sprouts. It was on my list of things to try this winter, and I'm finally getting around to it. Here are my adzuki sprouts, started last night:

Adzuki sprouts, day 1

(I used a piece of an onion bag as the top.)

I don't have much of a green thumb, but hey, I only have to keep these alive for a few days!

And speaking of sprouting things...

I've decided to join One Green Generation's Growing Challenge for the coming year. The seed catalogs have started arriving in the mail, and they've got me thinking about spring. I haven't had a whole lot of luck so far growing food from seed in our very shady yard, but I am determined to do better this year. This challenge seemed like it might help me stay motivated on that goal. For this challenge, I need to:

1. Plant 3 crops from seed.
2. Plant the "seeds" in 3 other people (inspire 3 other people to plant something from seed.), and
3. Post about it on the One Green Generation site.

So, consider yourselves invited to join me in this challenge. Never planted anything from seed before? It's a great time to try! (She's got some suggestions of easy beginner crops here.) I'll post more as I choose my seeds and get started planting. If you join me, you'll help me meet goal #2!

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know we've made a commitment to eating only locally-grown produce. Nothing's more local than your own backyard. I've got enough planted in my yard so far that I know the thrill of stepping out the back door to fill a basket with lunch. Now I want to do more; to have a truly edible landscape. Please consider joining me in this first step; this is a simple start toward a greener life!

2 comments:

Lorena said...

ooh - i am definitely in!!!!!! thanks for posting the info!!!

Lise said...

Hi, Lorena, thanks for coming by! And yay, I'm glad you're in. One down, two to go! :-)