Time again for Sharon's Independence Day's Challenge.
Our shelves are finally starting to look ready for the winter:
1. Plant something: Nope.
2. Harvest something: Eggs. Goldenrod. Apples (from Freecycle. Now, as I drive around town, I'm eyeing everyone's yards for neglected apple trees and trying to work up the nerve to ask if I can pick them.)
3. Preserve something: Goldenrod oil. Dried dill, watermelon. Froze green beans, cauliflower, spinach, stock. Canned 10 qts of (free!) applesauce.
4. Waste not: Same old, same old.
5. Preparation and storage: Added vinegar, pasta, tortilla chips to storage.
6. Build community food systems: Well, we sure supported what's there already! In this last month of farmers' markets, we're buying as much as we can haul out in our grocery cart (one of those wire things on two wheels you pull behind you--so helpful!)
7. Eat the food: Nothing new and exciting here.