Monday, September 27, 2010

The bumblebee dress


I finally finished my 2nd Charlotte Dress for Lucy. It's been mostly-finished for days, but I just couldn't find time to sew the neck (the sewing machine wakes her up, unfortunately!). I am so excited about this dress: I love it, love it, love it!

The fabric is vintage; it was a tablecloth, given to me by a friend. It's covered in bumblebees, ladybugs, apples, and flowers. I love it, so it's been hard to use; I wanted to find just the right project. When I finished the last dress, I liked the pattern so well I wanted to make another right away, and it seemed the perfect thing to show off this cute fabric. The yellow fabric was once curtains--and then a tablecloth--from another friend. And there's the cutest vintage flower button (sorry for the bad photos--it's grey and rainy here today).

And the pocket! I think all little girls' clothes should have pockets (why do only boys get them?). There are so many rocks and sticks and shells and acorns to collect! You have to have somewhere to put them. Lucy loves pockets, and is thrilled when she discovers them on a new outfit. Once upon a time, I'd seen a great pocket on Made by Rae. I filed it away in my brain, and actually remembered where to find it when I wanted it for this dress. ( I made my pieces one inch smaller all around to make a child-sized--but still very big--pocket.) Isn't it cute?

It's getting hard to take pictures of Lucy; she wants to be on the move! In these pictures, she was running full speed around our kitchen island, while in my mind, this song played over and over:

4 comments:

gardenmama said...

oh my goodness your little one is so adorable! i love her dress, great job mama! i opened your post up a little bit ago and it made me smile because we are in the kitchen cooking together this song accompanied us making garlic bread! : )

The Mom said...

She just keeps getting prettier every day! That dress is so adorable. I love your use of vintage fabrics. I'm going to have to go through my mother's stash now.

Luisa said...

Too cute. Lucy is getting so big. The dress is adorable. It'so nice to create with a fabric that you have been holding on to. I have to work on my sewing skills.

Jules said...

Wow, Lise! That dress is perfect on Lucy. She is growing up and looking so happy and well. Well done on all fronts. I must get organised and make some cute stuff for my boy.