Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dressing my baby for the 1960s


I almost forgot about the Sewing and Craft Exchange at the church around the corner, but luckily, we drove by at the right time, and I was able to run in for a few minutes. The first table had boxes and boxes of patterns for 10 cents!!! I wanted to just pick up the huge box of children's patterns and take them all home, but I showed great restraint and only bought 80 cents worth. (Oh, how I'm mourning those I didn't buy! But I have to be realistic about how much storage space and sewing time I have.) Look at these darling treasures:

I'm hoping that some day, I will be a good enough seamstress that I can make a coat, like that little yellow one up there. And that tulip hat to go with it? It's almost too cute--cheesy? But I like it.

I just love the sweet innocence of vintage baby clothes. Babies were allowed to be babies, rather than tiny teenagers.

I thought this top looked simple, comfortable, and versatile.

I love the side buttons on this one. I think that blue dress would look great as a winter jumper in wool or something else cozy and warm.

I love the little inverted pleats and the round opening at the back on this one.

That yellow dress with big pockets looks like a great layering basic to me. And that cape? Love it.

And, seriously. Lucy needs this chicken dress. She'd be thrilled. It has a chicken! And an egg-shaped pocket! (And a chick on a string to put in the pocket, but I think I'd skip that part.)

4 comments:

Deb said...

These patterns are awesome! I can't wait to see what you make Lucy.

Darling Petunia said...

They are all great patterns! Good choices...although I'd love to see what the others looked like too!

Luisa said...

Omigod how did you restrain?! These patterns are awesome. I can totally see Lucy in them.
I'm slightly jealous I wish I had these patterns and better time management for sewing. Soon:)
The best part is they are childrens clothes!

Lise said...

I know! Oh, why, oh why, didn't I buy more? This is one time when I'm really regretting my restraint. I keep thinking about all those I left behind. Even if I never make anything from them, they make me happy to look at!