Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crafting Hope for Orphans in India

Craft Hope Spreading seeds of hope one stitch at a time
I've decided to join Craft Hope in making infant hats, booties, and blankets for babies in India. I thought I was going to make a dress (their first project) and a doll (their second), but never did either. This time, I commented right away so I'd be committed to producing something!

That very night, I dug through my shirt pile to find one that was ready to be chopped up to make hats. I made two sweet little blue hats, and set to work making booties to match. I clearly worked well past my too-exhausted-to-sew point on those, so they're going to require stitch-ripping and re-doing. Oh, well...I've gotten a good start and I'm glad to have something to contribute this time. I had made some of these caps before, for Mama to Mama's Caps to Cap Haitian project, and it was so wonderful to watch that cap counter go up and up, my little contribution of 3 hats adding to the heaps until there were a total of 5523 hats and 169 blankets contributed!

I don't suppose my little contribution is going to change the world. But one little baby will be a bit warmer and a bit more secure in the knowledge that there is a world out there that cares about them.

Check out Craft Hope's latest project. Maybe you'll want to whip up a bit of warmth, too. (It's open to knitters and crocheters, as well!)

No comments: