Monday, June 8, 2009

Independence Days challenge, week 6

Oh, dear...we're not doing very well with this challenge this year. New baby+return to work+vacation= not much accomplished. Weeks 4 and 5 were pretty much lost. Not doing much better this week, but I thought I'd better post, anyway, to get myself motivated to do better.

2. Harvest something: Good King Henry, spinach, chives, mint

7. Eat the food: I was proud to make a dinner this week that came half from my back yard: sauteed Good King Henry, spinach, and garlic, with scrambled eggs and parmesan on pasta. In a yard with barely any sun, it's exciting to be able to grow even that much of our own food.


Good King Henry is my new favorite green. I planted it last year in my so-called "forest garden" (wishful-thinking name for a tiny strip of garden between us and a neighbor, which I'm trying to transform). It's a perennial, grows well in the shade, tastes similar to spinach, and grew more leaves by the time I was ready to harvest more. It's growing seeds now, so I'm hopeful it will spread by next year.

No comments: