Monday, November 29, 2010

How to get your toddler out of diapers in 4 easy steps


1. Spend 2 precious, rare, weekend hours to yourself sewing two new pairs of longies. When you find out they're too small, in a fit of frustration, spend tons of money to purchase two pairs of longies.*

2. Buy a pattern for big butt baby pants, designed especially to fit over bulky cloth diapers. Cut out fabric to make a pair. Cut it out again, because you foolishly cut the corduroy in the wrong direction.

3. Begin crocheting a pair of longies. Realize they're coming out too big, but continue on because she can wear them at some point.

4. Realize they're all unnecessary, because your baby has outgrown the need for diapers**.
...
*I must say, they were worth every penny; and no, I have no connection to this company. She'll continue to wear them as super-warm longjohns.

**After 17 years of teaching young children and advising parents on toilet learning, I learned about EC shortly before Lucy was born. It sounded like a great idea--for parents who could be one-on-one with their baby all day. But for a teacher of 6 toddlers? No way. So I put it out of my mind until she was 5 months, when I read some more about it and decided maybe I could do it part time. The first time I put her on the potty, she peed, and I was sold. I have been amazed and stunned by the whole process ever since. Hurray for teaching old dogs new tricks!

4 comments:

Luisa said...

Think you can come over and potty train my 2 year old. I wish I had ec her.

Julie said...

We are never to old to learn something new, or to change our ways! Good for you in challenging yourself to grow. You are always an inspiration:)

Deb said...

Way to go, Lucy! (and Lucy's mama) I thought my little Sprout was going to potty train herself the other week, but it must have just been a practice run--5 or 6 potties in the chair and then she was bored with that game. Maybe in a couple more months.

Annie said...

Woo wee! EC is so much easier than people initially think! xx