Thursday, February 17, 2011

In (and out of) the studio: cutting practice


There's been a lot of cutting around here lately. (By all the kids, but let's dote on Lucy for a while, shall we?) Lucy, of course, has had scissors in her hand since she was able to reach them on the table, since there are big kids here leaving them about all the time. I learned a while ago to just go ahead and give the youngest toddlers scissor-safety lessons, which is much easier than trying to keep them away from them. But this week has seen a giant leap in scissor skills. Two days ago, Lucy fringed a piece of paper that she was holding herself (scissors in one hand, paper in the other, cutting little cuts into the paper all around all the sides)--so far, she'd asked for me to hold the paper while she did it. Then, yesterday, all of a sudden, she figured out how to turn her fringed paper a bit, make another cut, and make a snippet of paper fall off! What a thrill. She moved from there to cutting a piece of yarn into little snippets. A few minutes later, she'd opened-shut-opened-shut the scissors to cut a few inches across a page.

I am in awe of her persistence and focus and skill. I find myself with my jaw on the floor daily. Wow.

6 comments:

Julie said...

As early childhood teachers it was always a thrill to allow:) young children to experiment with scissors and see parents FREAK OUT! Aren't you glad that you can embrace Lucy's remarkable journey with these menacing objects:) Love, love, love it!

Luisa said...

I was probably on the freak out side but I can't stand when M.'s fingers are so close to the blade. I'm working on it. I do like while she cuts the focus that goes into this process.

Stephanie said...

Maddie has always loved them, too.
A little disenchanting for me, however, when it was her hair and her clothes. :/
:) I'm hoping that part is overwith!

Lise said...

Stephanie, I swear, it's always the way-older-than-you'd-expect kids who cut their hair and clothes! It kills me every time!

Deb said...

Oh, I hadn't even thought to give the Sprout a scissors yet! But she has pretty good fine motor skills so I suppose she'll need a pair of blunt nosed scissors for her birthday. Thanks for not baby-ing Lucy and sharing her feats with the rest of us.

Burgin Streetman said...

love this!