Monday, November 16, 2009
Independence Days challenge, winding down
Oh, dear, it's time again for Sharon's Independence Day's Challenge, and I've done next to nothing:
1. Plant something: Nope.
2. Harvest something: Eggs.
3. Preserve something: Wrapped apples for storage.
4. Waste not: Just the usual.
5. Preparation and storage: This week was the last Saturday farmer's market of the year, so we went, despite pouring rain and a complete lack of sleep the night before, and filled the car's trunk with butternut squash, carrots, greens... and then, satisfied that we had enough food for the winter at last, we were handed a flier about the new winter market to be held on Saturdays right downtown. Argh! Oh, well. We're stocked now. We can use it as a back-up plan if needed.
6. Build community food systems: Nope.
7. Eat the food: More soups. I've been particularly enjoying this recipe, which I make even easier by throwing all the ingredients into the crock pot. Kid friendly, and makes me happy, too.
Judging by the lack of activity this week, I think it's time for me to stop posting about this challenge for this year. Back next spring, with renewed energy.