Sunday, June 14, 2009

Little Brown Bird Smock


Little Brown Bird Smock
Originally uploaded by mcghol
My mother gave me some money for my 40th birthday, and I used it to buy sewing books. One of them was Bend the Rules Sewing, which I've thought about getting since it first came out, but couldn't decide whether it would be worth it. After checking it out from the library, I'd say it is definitely worth buying! This is the second pattern I've tried from the book, and it went as smoothly as the first, with equally satisfying results.

This is the "Swing Swing Smock," which I re-sized to fit Lucy. I couldn't guess at what percentage to copy the pattern, so I googled around for a bit, and found someone who'd made it for a 6-month-old at 150%. My printer has a 157% setting, so I used that. It looks like it should fit 4-month-old Lucy just fine, for quite a while.

I replaced the pocket with an applique, which seemed more appropriate for a baby to me (pockets being essential, however, for stuff-toting toddlers). I used pink polka-dot fabric from a thrift-store skirt, and brown fabric and bias tape from a tag sale. I'm planning to make some bloomers to match.

No comments: